Moving Overseer 5.0 to another computer
One of the most common support requests I have, is people asking how to move Overseer to another computer. For one reason or another, people simply need to move from older hardware to new, or simply different. Obviously, they want to maintain their existing resources, history, etc.
Overseer 5.0 makes this very easy. To move Overseer 5.0 to another computer, simply follow these steps:
- Open Overseer and stop the service(click the “Service Running” text)
- Go to Tools->Backup and Restore Wizard, and perform a backup to a safe place
- Install Overseer on the new computer
- On the new computer, go to Tools->Backup and Restore Wizard, and perform a restore from the file you just backed up
- Uninstall Overseer from the old computer
At this point, Overseer network monitoring software should be running on your new computer with the resources from the old one. Note that this works both when using SQLite or MSSQL as Overseer’s database.
For more information, please see these entries in the help file: