How to move Overseer 5.0 from one computer to another
One of the most frequent support requests I get, is a step-by-step guide on how to move Overseer from one computer(or server) to another. This happens for multiple reasons in production environments. Unlike some other software, moving Overseer to another server is quite easy and painless– no special license activation keys are needed, etc.– just your license key from your original install, the latest Overseer setup file, and a medium to transfer the database(network, thumb drive, etc.).
- Before getting started, it is always best to update Overseer to the latest version, available at http://www.overseer-network-monitor.com/Download.aspx. Please do this on the original computer first.
- Next, start the Overseer management application using the desktop shortcut, and click the ‘Service Running’ icon in the upper right corner to stop the service(say ‘yes’ when prompted if you really want to stop the service).
- Once the service is stopped, it’s time to export your data. Go to Tools->Backup and Restore Wizard. Follow the prompts, noting where the backup file is being placed(you can specify another location if so desired).
- Once backed up, you can get your license key information from Help->License, or ideally your original license Email.
- Now, copy the backup file you just made in step #3 to a safe location– thumb drive, network location, etc.
- Un-install Overseer from this computer.
- Install a fresh copy of Overseer on the new computer, using the same latest version you upgraded the first computer to in #1.
- Apply your license key in Help->License…
- Go to Tools->Backup and Restore Wizard, and select the option to restore your database, pointing to the file you saved off in step #5.
- Wait for the restore/import to complete(this can take a while if you have a large database). Once done, all your settings, resources, and history should be restored onto this new computer, and Overseer should start monitoring your resources from this new computer.